Cucumber : 10 (6 oz each)
Leek : 2 oz
Hot pepper powder : 1/2 cup
Green onion : 1 stalk
Garlic : 4 cloves
Ginger : 1 piece
Salted baby shrimps, chopped : 1 tb (available in Korean stores, optional)
- Wash the cucumbers scrubbing with salt. Cut them into 2 inches long. Make a crosswise cut about 1.5 inches deep in each piece.
- Dissolve 4 tablespoonfuls of salt in 4 cups of water. Soak the cucumbers for about 30 minutes in the salted water. Squeeze them with gauze or paper towel to drain water thoroughly.
- Wash and cut the leeks 1 inch long.
- Crush garlic. Chop green onion, ginger, and salted baby shrimps.
- Put the hot pepper powder, leeks, green onion, garlic, ginger, salted baby shrimps, and salt in a large bowl. Mix them well by hand, using rubber gloves.
- Stuff each cucumber piece with the mixture. Place them neatly in a jar. Put the remaining stuffing on the them.
- Keep in a cool place for one day, then serve.